Thursday, April 24, 2008

Day 11

If you ever get a chance to stay with Michael & Melinda I highly recommend staying in their 2nd bedroom. It could possibly be the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The mattress itself is super comfortable, but then add flannel sheets (yum), a down throw (mmm), a quilt (yawn), and really plush pillows (snore) and you've got yourself a great nights sleep.

Mel made a wonderful breakfast and Michael contemplated going skiing. He ended up staying home and watching the Laker game instead. Mel and I decided to take a little sightseeing trip. As we were leaving the house she noticed that the truck had been parked under the downspout from their roof and a rather large icicle had formed on the front of the truck. I'm sure I've never seen anything like it. She said it's happened before.

I guess it's one of the hazards of living in the mountains. But I thought it was pretty cool.

We headed into town to look at all of the adorable shops. First stop was the coolest toy store I've ever seen. Very Babes In Toyland with old fashioned toys mixed in and amongst newer toys on a wall of old built-shelves. Even candy in jars on the sales counter filled with sour patch kids, assorted gummy bears and worms, jawbreakers, butterscotch discs and gumballs. The woman running the shop told us that they're eventually going to be expanding into the place next door which they're planning on turning into an old fashioned ice cream parlor/soda fountain. Fun, right?

We also went into a variety of shops in Truckee which is such an adorable town.

The main downtown strip is lined with buildings dating back to the 1800's, and filled with boutiques, cafes, kitchenware stores, and bars. It feels very much like something out of a movie.

My favorite store is a place called The Pharmacy (I believe) which was at no time an actual pharmacy. It used to be a theater, once upon a time, that Charlie Chaplan performed in. It's filled with fancy (and expensive) lotions and candles, lingerie and bedding.


After a lovely lunch and more window shopping Melinda took me to a spot in Truckee where you have a great view of the whole town.


We headed back to the house and sat back to watch Sweeney Todd (love it!). As it was getting on to 7pm, we decided to fire up the grill and have some burgers and grilled veggies. There's nothing quite as entertaining as watching Michael on the grill when it's 30 degrees outside.

We sat around and reminisced about the good ol days and even perused a couple of photo albums. But it got late and we all needed to get some sleep, so we said our goodbyes since I would be leaving before either of them got up. I always hate saying goodbye to Melinda who has always been the sister I never had.
Thanks guys for putting me up and letting me tag along on your weekend adventure. I love you!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I cannot tell you how good it was to see you. Maybe the cozy bed will entice you to come back soon.
As for the ice... that's nothing... in Mammoth, the tires of my honda once froze to the ground.

Miss you already

Emily Main said...

hehe.. at one point, both of their beds used to reside in our apartment in Mammoth ;) ... then Melinda got her fluffy bed back (we had borrowed it from their storage unit as they were at the cabin which was already full furnished and didn't need her bed at that time) when they moved to Truckee. When we got rid of our guest bed (in exchange for a futon), we gave our queen bed to M&M ... (just a little history on the beds at their house... )

I'm sorry I missed your visit. You should totally come again .. try late summer (september-ish) the weather is just gorgeous there!